James P. Zimmerman D.D.S ,F.A.G.D.
Periodontal disease is one of the most common oral health problems, yet many people are unaware that they even have it. Also known as gum disease, periodontal disease can damage your gums, destroy bones and ligaments, and cause tooth loss if it's not diagnosed and treated promptly. Fortunately, your Woodland, CA, dentist, Dr. James Zimmerman, can help you care for your smile with gum-protecting exams and treatments.
Could I Have Periodontal Disease?
You may have gum disease if you notice any of these signs and symptoms:
- Bleeding Gums: Irritated gums tend to bleed easily when you brush and floss your teeth. Bleeding is never normal and shouldn't be ignored. If your toothbrush looks pink after you brush or you see blood on your gums, make an appointment with your Woodland dentist. Bleeding can be the first sign of gingivitis, the mildest form of periodontal disease. In most cases, a dental cleaning and a renewed focus on oral hygiene will reverse gingivitis.
- Bad Breath: It's not unusual to have bad breath first thing in the morning or after eating a garlicky pasta dish. However, when breath odor becomes a constant problem throughout the day, it may be a sign that you have gum disease.
- Pain and Swelling: If you have periodontal disease, your gums may hurt, particularly when you chew. You may also notice that they're red and puffy.
- Receding Gums: Are your teeth looking a little longer these days? Gum disease may be the reason.
- Sensitivity: Receding gums expose your sensitive tooth roots. If you've been experiencing pain after consuming hot, cold or sugary foods/drinks, let your dentist know.
- Pockets: If your gum disease isn't treated in the early stages of the disease, you may eventually develop pockets around your teeth. Pockets form when the gums pull away from the teeth. Deep pockets provide the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and are a sign of serious gum disease.
- Loose Teeth: The bacteria can eventually destroy or damage the bones and ligaments that hold your teeth in place. Treatment may prevent you from losing loose teeth, depending on the extent of the damage.
Give Us a Call!
Don't ignore possible signs of periodontal disease! Call your Woodland, CA, dentist, Dr. James Zimmerman, at (530) 661-1155 to schedule your appointment.
Cosmetic fillings from your dentist in Woodland, California can give you a beautiful smile
When you think of dental fillings, do you think of large, bulky, unsightly metal fillings? If so, it’s time to think differently! Today’s fillings do more than just restore cavities—they can also increase the beauty of your smile! Dr. James P. Zimmerman in Woodland, CA, offers cosmetic fillings to restore your teeth and give you a great looking smile!
What fillings can do for you!
Tooth-colored fillings use a high-tech liquid resin material known as composite. Composite can be matched to the color of your teeth to create a seamless, uniform smile. It can also be sculpted to match the natural contours of your teeth; no more metal smile!
Cosmetic fillings with composite also work differently than metal fillings. That’s because the composite resin is bonded on to your natural tooth structure, strengthening the structural integrity of your tooth. In contrast, metal fillings can actually weaken teeth by dividing a tooth into sections, which can break off when you bite down or chew.
Cosmetic fillings are not just attractive—they can also repair the same dental issues as conventional metal fillings, including:
- Cavities caused by dental decay
- Broken, damaged, or cracked teeth due to trauma
- Worn-down or chipped teeth due to aging teeth grinding
When you choose cosmetic fillings to restore your teeth, you can count on:
- A naturally beautiful appearance that blends with your smile
- No more metallic taste in your mouth from metal fillings
- A stronger filling because the material is chemically bonded to your tooth
Need care? Give us a call!
Cosmetic fillings are the state-of-the-art way to restore your teeth and your smile. To find out more about tooth-colored fillings, call Dr. James P. Zimmerman in Woodland, California. Get started on your beautiful new smile by calling (530) 661-1155 today!
A missing tooth does more than just create a gap in your smile, it can also cause bone atrophy and displace your remaining teeth if left untreated. If you have a gap, your dentist may suggest dental implants, a powerful tooth replacement option which completes your smile and helps you avoid the risks of an untreated missing tooth. Read below to learn more about dental implants, and contact Dr. James Zimmerman in Woodland, CA, for personal treatment!
How A Dental Implant Works
A dental implant uses three main components to replace your missing tooth: a fixture, an abutment, and a prosthetic tooth. Together, these pieces work together to keep the implant securely and permanently in place. A dentist implants the fixture directly into the jaw, where the bone will grow around it and hold it in place. An abutment is then placed in order to connect the prosthetic tooth to the fixture, after which the entire piece will feel and function as naturally as the rest of your teeth!
Good Candidates for Dental Implants
A good candidate for dental implants must have several qualities:
- A strong at-home oral care routine to keep their teeth and implants healthy and clean
- Good overall health
- Decay-free teeth and healthy gums
- The ability to undergo the necessary anesthesia
- Minimal bone atrophy in the area of the implant (Patients with significant bone atrophy may require a bone grafting procedure.)
- Commitment to seeing their dentist twice a year for preventative examinations and cleanings
Dental Implant Tooth Replacements in Woodland, CA
Leaving a missing tooth untreated can result in some serious issues with your smile. A gap allows the teeth surrounding it to shift. Additionally, a missing tooth causes bone atrophy, which makes the bone under the gap degrade and lose volume. Dental implants help you avoid these issues and keep your smile healthy. To ensure that your implants last a lifetime, follow the American Dental Association’s recommended oral care routine of brushing twice daily, flossing at least once a day, and regularly visiting your dentist for examinations and cleanings.
For more information on dental implants, please contact Dr. James Zimmerman in Woodland, CA. Call (530) 661-1155 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Zimmerman today!
Restorative procedures, such as root canals and dental implants, need crowns to cover them. Your dentist, Dr. James Zimmerman, provides patients with reliable crowns from his Woodland, CA, office—read below to learn the benefits of this treatment option!
More About Dental Crowns
This dental prosthetic looks like a cap and is made of porcelain. To create them, your dentist takes an impression of your teeth and sends them to a lab where custom crowns are made for you (you'll be given a temporary crown in the meantime).
Crowns are also made of porcelain-fused-to-metal and porcelain with zirconia, one of the strongest ceramics available. Your Woodland dentist can help you determine which type would work best for your situation.
Crowns are crucial for protecting exposed teeth that may be susceptible to breakage and decay. Given how they reinforce teeth to help withstand various degrees of pressure, with crowns you can enjoy eating without the worry of damaging your teeth.
Dental Crown Uses
Dental crowns have other uses as well.
They're used for:
- Attaching bridges
- Covering an almost dislodged filling
- Hiding stained, or discolored teeth
Caring For Dental Crowns
Proper oral and dental care consists of preventative measures to keep natural teeth and crowns healthily intact for as long as possible. This requires that you,
- Brush your teeth twice a day and floss before bed to remove plaque buildup
- Don't bite into ice, as it can damage your teeth
- Visit your dentist twice a year for regular check-ups and professional dental cleanings
- Drink plenty of water to wash away food debris that may get stuck between teeth
- Get a mouth guard or splints if you suffer from bruxism (teeth grinding) since it reduces the crown's lifespan.
- Avoid unhealthy, sugary food, like candy and soda.
For more information on dental crowns and what they can do for you, contact Dr. James Zimmerman's Woodland, CA, practice at (530) 661-1155.
It’s Now Easier Than Ever to Whiten Your Smile at Home with At-Home Whitening Trays.
Who says that at-home whitening isn’t effective? Okay, maybe you haven’t seen the results you had hoped with over-the-counter whitening kits or toothpastes, but that’s where our Woodland, CA, cosmetic dentist Dr. James Zimmerman comes in! We understand that our patients lead busy lives and don’t want to waste precious time, which is why we offer custom at-home whitening treatment.
An Easier Way to Whiten Teeth
Say goodbye to sitting in the dentist’s chair and waiting an hour or more to get teeth whitening. Now, you can enjoy the convenience of whitening right from the comfort of your own home while still getting professional and fast whitening results. Most patients turn to in-office whitening because they aren’t achieving the whiter smile they want with commercial whitening products; however, our customized at-home system provides you with the professional whitening you would get in a dental office at a fraction of the price and all done without having to leave your home.
Now, you can choose to whiten your smile on your own terms. Of course, you will have to visit our Woodland, CA, dentist so that we can take impressions of your teeth from which to create the custom whitening trays. Customized trays are better than those one-size-fits-most whitening trays that you can get from your local drugstore or grocery store. By creating trays that fit perfectly over your teeth we can guarantee even and effective whitening.
Additionally, the whitening gel that we prescribe is stronger than anything you can get over-the-counter. This means that you won’t have to wear your trays nearly as long every day before you start seeing results. Most patients start to notice that their smiles are visibly whiter after a week or so, and the more often you follow the treatment plan that we map out for you, the sooner you will see results.
Of course, after using our at-home whitening you may choose to use whitening toothpaste or commercial kits to help maintain your results. Using whitening toothpaste, along with good oral hygiene, can even prevent new stains from forming or your newly brightened teeth.
Contact Us Today!
If you are interested in getting professional at-home whitening trays from our Woodland, CA, general dentist, then right now is the perfect time to give us a call at (530) 661-1155. We will be happy to schedule your whitening consultation and get you one step closer to a more radiant smile.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.